Thursday, October 16, 2014

Review: Becoming Calder by Mia Sheridan

Goodreads Summary:

There is a place in modern day America with no electricity, no plumbing, and no modern conveniences. In this place, there is no room for dreams, no space for self-expression, and no tolerance for ambition.

In this place, there is a boy with the body of a god and the heart of a warrior. He is strong and faithful and serves his family honorably. But he dares to dream of more.

In this place, there is a girl with the face of an angel and a heart full of courage. To her family, she is the vision of obedient perfection. But she dares to want that which she has been told can never be hers.

Becoming Calder is the story of good versus evil, fear versus bravery, and the truth that the light of love has always found its way into even the darkest of places . . . From the beginning of time, to the end of the world.

Publication Date: October 5, 2014


I have to say I had no idea what I would be reading based off of the blurb for Becoming Calder. The cover has a post-apocalyptic feel so I thought that would be the direction of the novel. However, I didn’t expect to read about a cult and a young couple’s desperate attempts at freeing themselves from the evil leader of the cult.

I loved Calder from the very beginning of the book. He is strong, kind and I loved how protective he was of the people he loved. I liked that his relationship with Eden started with a friendship and grew over time despite the impossibility of the two of them being together. Eden is the intended wife of the cult’s prophet and even spending time with Calder is a crime. I liked Eden, but she was a little too perfect. I wouldn’t mind if she had a flaw (even a small one) to make her more relatable.

Eden and Calder’s love story was beautiful and touching. I love the author’s writing style and she didn’t disappoint in Becoming Calder. I could feel the emotion jump off of the pages when Eden and Calder had a few stolen moments together at their secret spot next to the river.

The central theme of the novel is good versus evil and the villains in the book do some disgusting things to Eden and Calder. Some of the scenes aren’t for the faint of heart. And the ending!!! I’m glad the author decided to release the sequel simultaneously because I don’t think I could wait months after the major cliffhanger ending. Becoming Calder is another must read from a super talented author.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Very nicely written review, Heather! Sounds like an awesome book. I'm gonna have to check it out. Thanks for sharing! :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong kind and protective are traits I enjoy as well

    ReplyDelete