Friday, October 3, 2014

Review: Creed by Trisha Leaver and Lindsay Currie

Summary:

Three went in. Three came out. None even a shadow of who they once were.

When their car breaks down, Dee, her boyfriend Luke, and his brother Mike walk through a winter storm to take refuge in a nearby town called Purity Springs. When they arrive, the emergency sirens are blaring and the small farming town seems abandoned. With no other shelter, they spend the night in an empty house.


But they soon discover that not everything in Purity Springs is as it seems. When the town's inhabitants suddenly appear the next morning, Dee, Luke, and Mike find themselves at the mercy of the charismatic leader, Elijah Hawkins, who plans to make Dee his new wife. Elijah's son, Joseph, offers to help them escape . . . but the price of his help may be more than Dee and her friends can bear.

Publication Date: November 8, 2014

Horror is a tough genre for me. Sometimes I feel completely freaked out by a book while other times I’m unfazed. Creed had me scared in the beginning, but once the baddie came into the picture, I didn’t feel as creeped out as much.

Creed grabbed me from the beginning. I liked the classic horror movie set-up of three teens stranded in the middle of nowhere. As Dee and her friends travel into town, I got chills as they explored the abandoned buildings. As they learn more about the inhabitants of the town, things go from bad to worse for the trio.

I didn’t read the summary before starting the book and I liked not knowing what direction the book was going in. However, once I realized the bad guy of the book was the leader of a religious cult, I didn’t totally love the story. The gore level made me queasy and some of the things the leader was getting away with made the plot questionable. But the novel is YA horror, so I just went with it.

The ending was shocking and my heart broke at some of the things that transpired during the climax. I think the author did a good job of adding a few fresh twists on typical horror fare. Overall, I’d recommend the novel to readers who enjoy books like Ten by Gretch McNeil.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, a classic setup is all ya need, huh? :) Wonderful review, Heather. Thanks so much for sharing! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete