Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass


Goodreads Summary:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Publication Date: April 24, 2012

I love summertime books where you can get into the plot and even enjoy the book although there were a few major flaws.This is how I felt about The Selection. A couple of things didn't sit well with me, but I really got into the competition and who was going to win.

In the beginning, America Singer (she's named after America and sings well) is involved with a boy Aspen who's in a lower caste than her. They want to get married, but there are rules preventing them from being together. Despite his love, Aspen insists America enter the Selection in order to help her family move up in the caste system. When she's chosen, he breaks up with her.

Although heartbroken, America heads off to the castle to take part in the competition to win the prince's heart. She know she'll never love the prince, but goes because the palace pays her struggling family a stipend while she competes. A few awkward encounters with the prince ends up actually bringing the pair close and America starts to question who her heart belongs to.


Since I wasn't a big fan of the whole melodrama surrounding her relationship with Aspen, I was glad when he was out of the picture. It was much more entertaining reading about the girls trying to win over the prince. In my head, I kept adding my own cliched lines that have appeared on The Bachelor. "I believe in this process." "I'm ready to find love."


Maxon was a great character and I will definitely have a major meltdown if America doesn't end up with him. I'm embarrassed to admit I actually do enjoy stories where a handsome and rich prince falls in love with a girl because she has gumption. I also liked how America held onto her identity and wasn't afraid to be herself around the prince.


The weakest part of the novel was the world building. A few things sounded very far-fetched to me (i.e. China invades the United States because we owe them too much money). Plus, there was no clear explanation on how this history created the caste system.

And the ending just didn't work for me. It was open-ended and I feel the concept behind the book could have worked as a stand alone novel instead of a series. However, would I read the next novel? Absolutely.  

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This is a very well written and concise review, Heather! I may pick this one up for a fun read. :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the premise, and trying to win the prince sounds fun to read. Thanks for the review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete