Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Review: The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Goodreads Summary:
If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl — someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I’m a living science experiment — not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization call the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters. I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control: I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends - a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch - and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying
.


Publication Date: April 28, 2009 

Book Two of the Darkest Powers Trilogy starts immediately where we left off in the last book. Chloe is being imprisoned by the Edison Group because of the genetic enhancements that make her powers difficult to control. The beginning of the book was great for revealing more about the Edison Group and introducing characters that would later become important to the plot.

Once Tori and Chloe escape, the novel really takes off. They meet up with Derek and Simon and come across a whole bucket load of problems. They have to try and find the boys' father with limited resources and while still running from the Edison Group. There were so many great elements of suspense and horror during their journey that I couldn't put the book down.

Simon is still being treated as a potential love interest for Chloe, but I just don't see it. She just has way too much chemistry with Derek to end up with anyone else. My favorite part of the book was when they became separated from Tori and Simon and had to travel on their own to a friend of Simon and Derek's father. I loved how he was constantly pushing her to do the right thing while also being very protective of her.  She also knew exactly what he needed as he began his transformation into a werewolf and it was so sweet for her to refuse to feel revulsion as his body went through some scary changes.

Second books in trilogies are often full of fluff, but I'm happy to say that this is another captivating novel in this amazing series.

Rating: 5/5 Stars   

1 comment:

  1. This series is sounding better and better. I'm gonna have to check it out. You're gonna have to quit reading such great books. I'm going to run out of money. LOL READ ON!

    ReplyDelete