Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer Armentrout

Goodreads Summary:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


Publication Date: August 14, 2012
 
I was so excited to read this book that I almost didn’t want to finish it because then I would have to wait until the next one came out. The series is that good! Daemon and Katy have probably the best chemistry I’ve ever witnessed in any YA series.

As human girl Katy fights her attraction to alien Daemon, I found myself wanting to jump into the book and shake some sense into the girl. I get the reasoning behind some of her god-awful decisions in the first half of the book, but I still don’t get why she continued to see Blake. I thought she should have realized earlier on how much trouble would come from her friendship with him and how it hurt her relationships with Daemon and Dee.

Once I reached the mid-point of the book, I could not put it down! The action picked up and Katy stopped being such a head case over her connection to Daemon. A few twists surprised me and it was interesting to see some of the characters only mentioned in Obsidian make an appearance. The ending was equal parts hopeful and heartbreaking. It would be really nice to see everything work out for Katy and the Black family.

On to Daemon. Sigh. Armentrout should publish a book simply consisting of his quotes. They made me giggle at times and swoon at others. He is the ultimate book crush.

I ended up with a 4.5 rating. The first half of the book was four stars for me and then the second half boosted to a 5 star rating. Katy finally came into her own and became less angsty. I don’t know if I loved it as much as Obsidian, but I am definitely eagerly awaiting the third installment!

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. I'm seeing this series everywhere! Really need to read it. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the reason I read it, I kept seeing it pop up on so many blogs =)

      Delete
  2. I think I need to go find the first book in the series! These books look really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete