Friday, August 16, 2013

Review: Faking It by Cora Carmack

Goodreads Summary:

Mackenzie “Max” Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice, wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel.

Publication Date: June 4, 2013

I loved Cade from Losing It and was very excited to read his story. Although it wasn’t as terrific as the first book, I still enjoyed Faking It and I’ll definitely continue reading more from the author.

What I like most about the books is the author’s writing style. There were a lot of great one-liners and I loved hearing Cade’s inner monologue. He was very easy to connect to as a character and his self-deprecating sense of humor had me giggling.

Max was a little harder to like and I tried to sympathize because of her past, but I still wanted to shake some sense into her because Cade was freaking amazing! The romance between the two characters was sweet, albeit predictable. I mean over and over again it’s reiterated how different the two of them are and this is why it could never work. I get it: he’s the golden boy and she’s just so edgy.

The tone got more serious as the novel went on, but I didn’t totally feel emotionally invested. I liked the book, but not sure if I’d reread Faking It like I plan to do with Losing It. Maybe it’s because I’ve read so many great books lately and I didn’t feel like this one was memorable enough. I’d still recommend the series for fans of New Adult books and it was nice to see characters from the first novel pop up.

Rating: 3/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that you didn't feel the emotional involvement you wanted to or should with the situations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm this review makes me want to read Losing It. LOL! Wonderful review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Heather. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete