Monday, August 26, 2013

Review: Rule by Jay Crownover

Summary:

Opposites in every way . . . except the one that matters

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight--A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want--and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess-and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw-even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails, and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love . . . or each other.

Publication Date: December 30, 2012


I thought if there were one book I’d totally love, it would be Rule. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I didn’t adore the story as much as I hoped. I’m not sure if it was because of the main characters or the constant back and forth between the two, but I was left underwhelmed.

Shaw was annoying and I felt like she tried too hard to be the “cool” girl. She doesn’t hassle Rule about his self-destructive tendencies and becomes an enabler of sorts. I’m also a little over books where all other female characters besides the heroine and her best friend are considered trashy and slutty.

Rule was a tad bit more interesting, but I’ve read too many books lately with the same bad boy caricatures as the leads. I liked his friendships and the tight relationship with his brother and it made him more likable.

The pacing was good and the romance didn’t feel contrived. There was a natural development and since Rule and Shaw have known each other for years, it was interesting to read about them taking the leap from friendship to something more. However, the drama and constant make-up/break-up grew tedious. I was curious to see how the Remy situation would be addressed and it kept me reading to find out how Rule and his family would move on from his twin’s death.

Although I’m feeling like this is a middle of the road book for me, I’d still recommend it. There are loads of stellar five star reviews online and plenty of fangirls of Rule, so I’m in the minority on this one.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, trying this comment again. :-/

    It sounds like another attempt to recreate Beautiful Disaster. When one book takes off like that, it's bound to spawn a whole slew of close characters. Bad boys abound. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Heather. That's a wonderful review. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete