Thursday, March 5, 2015

Review: Breathe for Me by Rhonda Helms

Summary:

Isabel’s been cursed since the Middle Ages.

Desperate to escape an arranged marriage, she made a hasty bargain with a demon, asking for liberation from an oppressive husband-to-be and the excitement of travel. But the demon’s “gift” came at a steep cost. Each time he moves her to a new city, her memory’s wiped. No one can touch her bare skin without injury or even death. And she sees the lifespan of every living being (and is, in fact, immortal herself).

All a constant reminder that she’s different than other teen girls.

But New Orleans seems to accept her as she is. She has friends and a real life in this quirky, hot city. Then Isabel meets Dominic, whose deep soul and strong character draw her to him. Her growing love gives her the courage to confront the demon, insisting the curse be broken. But the demon’s price for freedom is much, much higher than she could possibly give.

Publication Date: August 5, 2014


I was looking for a new paranormal romance read and I was intrigued by Breathe for Me’s summary. It reminded me of Shatter Me, which is one of my favorite YA books ever. Breathe for Me was good, but lacked some of the edginess I expected.

Isabel was a good main character and I liked her unique perspective on the world. The paranormal aspects were well done and I felt for Isabel as she tried again and again to escape her curse.

The romance was pretty sappy. Normally, the sap can work for me, but I wasn’t feeling it as much as I hoped. Dominic wasn’t a bad hero per-se, but he didn’t come off as memorable to me. Especially since he’s the guy who Isabel is supposed to risk everything for to break her curse.

The climax was good and really elevated the story for me. I was happy with the way the author chose to end the book. I definitely appreciated that Breathe for Me is a standalone. I’d recommend the book to fans of YA paranormal romances.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. The summary is very intriguing. I'm not sure I would be a fan of the sap either. :/ I am still intrigued though. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to me but I do like the sound of the synopsis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome. Great that you got a happy ending. I do love me some stand-alones! :) Superb review. Thanks for sharing! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete