Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Review: The Replaced by Kimberly Derting

Summary:

Romantic and action-packed, The Replaced is the gripping second installment in the Taking trilogy.

Kyra hasn't been the same since she returned from her mysterious five-year disappearance. Now, on the run from the NSA, Kyra is forced to hide out with others who, like her, have been Returned. Yet she is determined to find Tyler, the boy she loves who was also abducted—all because of her. When her group intercepts a message that Tyler might still be alive but is in the hands of a shadowy government organization that experiments on the Returned, Kyra knows it's a risk to go after him. What if it's a trap? And worse, what if the returned Tyler isn't the same boy she lost?

Perfect for fans of The Fifth Wave and the Body Finder series, The Replaced is both chilling and explosive, with creepy, otherworldly elements and twisty, psychological thrills that will have you questioning what exactly it means to be human.

Publication Date: April 28, 2015


This book wasn’t bad, but I definitely felt like it suffered a bit from middle book syndrome. I had a hard time remembering all that happened in the first book, so I spent a good portion of this book playing catch-up. However, by the second half of the book, I felt myself drawn back into the plot and caught up in the mysteries surrounding Kyra’s abduction.

The action took a bit to get started, but once it did, I couldn’t stop reading. I thought the author threw in some really unique plot twists and I didn’t see most of them coming. Kyra remained likable in the book and I like how she’s growing as a character by finding her own inner strength.

I liked the romance in the book. There is a love triangle, but it’s not annoying and I think it’s obvious who Kyra belongs with. The romance is actually not a major part of the plot and I hope to see a little more development in that area in the final book.

Overall, I liked the first book better, but The Replaced was a solid enough read to keep me invested and have me look forward to the final novel in the series.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, kinda sad that you didn't like it as much as the first. I think I am still going to check it out though, just maybe not going to run to pick it up the day it comes out
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love middle books :) Sorry you didn't fall as hard for this one as you did the first, but that's one heck of a review, and there's always the last book to look forward to, right? :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's sad when a book suffers from middle book syndrome. :( I have yet to read the first one but I do have a copy. I have no idea why I have put it off for so long. I liked this author's Body Finder series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete