Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Literary Characters I Will Always Love

We've made it to Day Five of the 28-Day Author Blog Challenge (details are here)! Need to spend the day catching up on some of the other posts from authors. Yesterday was the hubby's birthday, so we spent the day at the shore and even had a Sammi and Ronnie spotting from the Jersey Shore. Of course, the husband would rather have died than sign a waiver to go into The Shore Store, so it was simply a glimpse from afar. Anywho, onto the topic of the day:

Who is your favorite literary character? With which literary character do you most relate?



I would say my favorite literary characters would have to be Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. First of all, they have probably the greatest literary romance of all time. Some of my favorite book quotes come from Darcy declaring his love for Elizabeth: “In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” and “I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

Plus, Elizabeth is such a likable character. She’s clever and virtuous and I love how she can tell off Darcy even as she’s falling for him. With many one-note characters in the book, she’s a breath of fresh air. Other favorite characters from classic novels include Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird, Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With the Wind and Benjy from the Sound and the Fury.

Although I love these characters, I don’t exactly find them easy to relate to. Believe it or not, the character that comes to mind is Stephanie Plum from the Janet Evanovich series. She’s a Jersey girl like me with the story actually taking place in my neighboring town of Trenton. She’s sarcastic and has a wicked sense of humor. She’s dating a cop while I’m married to one. Wow with all of these similarities maybe I should think about going into bond enforcement and befriend a prostitute.

Great topic to think about it! I’m excited to see who was chosen by other challenge participants. I’m certain Elizabeth and Darcy must have made a few other lists.

5 comments:

  1. This: Wow with all of these similarities maybe I should think about going into bond enforcement and befriend a prostitute. Made me laugh out loud. :)

    I find it interesting how many bloggers in this challenge have cited some part or character from Pride and Prejudice. There must be something to that... WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not one for Romance stuff but this all changes when we enter a certain era....the era of Darcy! Oh yes....so passionate and evocative and swoon. Great choice...

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This challenge certainly evokes though Heather and I like your response to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Agent Advice: Jessica Papin of Dystel and Goderich Literary ManagementYou Are What You ReadFoamposite Translucent Margaret Mitchell’s Landmark Novel A Review of Gone With the WindThe Literary Characters I Will Always Love [...]

    ReplyDelete