Monday, June 25, 2012

Top 10 Characters Who Remind Me of Myself or Someone I Know in Real Life

I've been neglecting my participation in the Broke and the Bookish weekly meme, but I'm back in it this week! For this week's Top Ten Tuesday, the topic is to pick ten characters who remind you of yourself or someone you know. This is a tough one, but I'll try my darndest. I haven't named names since I don't want any family or friends pissed at me!

Becky from Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella-I love Becky from the Shopaholic series! I pretty much find everything she says hysterically funny. The friend I'm thinking of spends a zillion dollars on toys, clothes, etc. and justifies it because it's for her kids.

Jeb from The Host by Stephenie Meyer-You know how in the book they said the crazy and the paranoid people would be the one to survive an alien invasion? Well, this describes a certain family member of mine to a T. She believes a planet called Nibiru is coming towards Earth and has prepared by putting together survival supplies and cashing in her 401K plan. I bet she can't wait to say I told you so if the world does end.

Charlie Swan from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer-I've always been a fan of Bella's father and I've known a single dad who sometimes struggles to connect with his teenage daughter.

Meredith from Everyone Else's Girl by Megan Crane-In this book, the main character tries to escape her family, but finds herself suckered back in and ends up taking care of her injured father without any help from her siblings. The person I'm thinking of is the people pleaser who ends up feeling like a martyr as her family takes advantage of her time and time again.


Ben Page from Seeing Me Naked by Liza Palmer-The main character is the daughter of a famous novelist with an inflated sense of self-worth. He also revels in tearing others down who he deems inferior to him. I know a not so nice guy who has these same qualities.

Lizzie from Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot-I love Lizzie and think she's hysterically funny. I also know several friends (and probably myself included) who have a tendency to put their foots in their mouths and blurt out whatever they're thinking.

Joe Morelli from One for the Money by Janet Evanovich-A Trenton cop with a down to earth personality. Definitely reminds me of a certain guy.


Mrs. X from The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicole Kraus-I wish I didn't come across as many Mrs. Xs as I do, but raising a preschooler close by the city, it's almost impossible not to.

Cannie Shapiro from Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner-I think Cannie is an enjoyable character and I think many girls see themselves in her and the struggle to learn to love yourself in spite of your weight.

Andrea Sachs from The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger-I've think many people (myself included) have had to deal with a boss from hell.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I should have used Queen of Babble for myself! I was nervous with others and did all me then ended up copying a funny conversation it started with my boyfriend out. In other words, this week was hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of characters, some I haven't heard of before. Looks like another trip to the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool post! My mom is like Clairie from Steel Magnolias :) hehe WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also didn't want to identify my friend who reminds me of Becky the Shopaholic! I also loved Lizzie in Queen of Babble. She has so many characteristics of what I see in myself and my friends. Ditto to Andrea and Connie.

    Joe Morelli--sigh. If environmentalists are anything like cops, then my husband reminds me of him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jeb and Charlie Swan are sweet, and it's adorable that you know people like them! Interesting about your aunt... I do kind of hope she's wrong though.
    Great list, here’s mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job! I especially love your integrity of others feelings.

    ReplyDelete