Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Writers I Want to Be Like When I Grow Up-28-Day Blog Challenge

This is the third day of the 28-Day Blog Challenge for Authors (learn more about participating here) and the prompt is:

Who are the writers you most admire? Who are your writing mentors?

There are so many great writers that I admire. I try to read as much as possible and I think reading so many different genres and authors really help me as an author. I can get inspired as much out of a piece of classic literature as a trashy romance novel. I’ve also realized that opening up myself to indie writers and not only purchasing books from mainstream publishers has really turned me on to some amazing talents in the business. Here are a few writers whose careers I wouldn't mind having.

Addison Moore

Have you read the Celestra series from Addison Moore? If not, you’re missing out on a truly amazing indie talent. She self-publishes the series and it has some of the funniest lines I’ve read in YA paranormal fiction. I love how much humor she injects into so many of the scenes, even when the characters are facing perilous situations.

Suzanne Collins

In the way that Stephenie Meyer is responsible for bringing on the vampire craze in YA fiction, Collins inspired a slew of dystopian young adult novels. Although I’m fan of several other authors who have written dystopian themed series (Lauren Oliver, Ally Condie and Lauren DeStefano) I think no one does it better than Collins.

EL James

Okay, I’m not exactly a fan of the erotica author’s Fifty Shades of Grey, but I do think that a number one author who got her start writing fan fiction is admirable. I know a lot of authors have been hating on her and saying she’s made her success off of stealing someone else’s hard work, but I think that’s an unfair characterization. Anastasia and Christian are barely recognizable as Edward and Bella. There are so many works out there much more derivative in my opinion. 

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing spending some time thinking about who we admire. I'd never really thought about it so succinctly before...

    Looking forward to reading your posts

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete