Monday, June 18, 2012

Review of League of Strays by L.B. Schulman

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. No cold hard cash was given for my honest review.



Goodreads Description:

When Charlotte Brody, a lonely 17-year-old student at a new school, receives an invitation to join The League of Strays, she's intrigued by the group's promise of "instant friendship." The League does provide companionship--and even a love interest--but Charlotte grows increasingly uncomfortable with its sinister mission to seek revenge against the bullies of Kennedy High. When escalating acts of vengeance threaten to hurl her down a path of remorse, Charlotte must choose between her new friends and the direction of a future she's never fully considered.

288 Pages

October 1, 2012 Publication Date

I was unsure of how much I would enjoy this book, but the plot kept me engaged enough to keep reading. I don't think this was a great book and the main character is in serious need of a lobotomy, but it was very suspenseful at times.  (Side Note: This book actually has some crazy controversy surrounding it. If you want to hear about the drama, check out the reviews over at Goodreads)

What I Liked: I think the concept of the book was interesting: a group of misfits band together to seek revenge against bullies in their school. School bullying is a hot button topic these days so I think the themes in the novel are very relevant to today's society (although the choices the characters make against the bullies aren't to be condoned). Charlotte is an interesting character because the reader sees how easily Kade is able to play off her weaknesses. Her actions make you want to smack her at times, but for me that made her seem more like a realistic YA character.

What I Didn't Like: For one, the name of the book. My inner geek kept expecting Dr. Jekyll and Mina Harker to show up (a la League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen) or a group of cats to form a gang and take  on humans. Moreover, there was this uncomfortable part where a prank went way too far and you're appalled over how the characters do nothing to stop it and Charlotte continues to be attracted to Kade. I didn't get why Charlotte's self-esteem was so in the toilet that she would continue being with him (or to be honest, being attracted to him in the first place). The book needed more of a climax too. It ends with a whimper more than a bang.

Star Rating: Three out of five stars

1 comment:

  1. I am hopping over to Goodreads right now... :) I suppose ANY hype is better than no hype at all. Controversy is my middle name with Yassa. Bwahahhahhahaaa! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete