Monday, December 24, 2012

Review: Lie to Me by Angela Fristoe

Summary:
With a Truth Telling gift that has never worked, Phoebe Matlin accepted long ago that she was broken.

Then one simple lie changes everything and suddenly the whisper of liar is ripping through her. Some lies, though, cover darker truths than Phoebe ever imagined.

But knowing when someone is lying is the easy part. It's convincing everyone else that's the problem.

Publication Date: December 2012
Source: YA Bound


I wasn't sure what to expect when starting Lie to Me. The concept sounded interesting and I figured I'd settle in for a fun and light YA paranormal read. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the story and how the author didn't shy away from tacking tough issues. The characters were relatable and although the plot had paranormal aspects, it had a very contemporary feel.

Phoebe isn't very likable at the start of the book. She's mouthy and puts up a wall around herself. I liked Phoebe's tough girl attitude, but I could imagine some readers being put off from it. I would recommend giving her a chance because she definitely grows on you as the story progresses. I really came to like her by the end of the novel.

I never read a story about a truth telling gift and this idea really made the book stand out in my mind. The paranormal elements of the plot were really well done. The gifts were easy to understand and didn't have a set of complex rules to go along with them. I'm interested in reading subsequent books from the perspectives of Phoebe's sisters. I especially liked Lily and I'm curious to see what secrets she's hiding from her sisters. 

The love interest wasn't my favorite character in the book. I just felt he was too weak for a strong girl like Phoebe. However, I enjoyed how the author depicted him in a realistic manner. Readers won't have a hard time imagining Nathan as someone they knew in high school.

There are several different plots going on in Lie to Me. Over the course of the book, Phoebe is dealing with her complicated friendships, a budding romance with her crush, a school rival and coming to terms with her emerging gift. I liked how the book gave a complete snapshot of Phoebe's life. This kept me interested enough to finish the book in only a couple of sittings. By the end, I was on the edge of my seat as Phoebe tries to help a friend that she's know is lying to her. 

I would definitely recommend this book to YA readers. The series had plenty of potential and I only see it getting better and better.

Rating; 4.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I've never really heard of truth telling gift either. Glad you enjoyed.
    Happy reading and have a happy holidays and Merry Christmas!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome would it be to know when people are lying? This book sounds like a winner for sure. Very nicely written review, Heather! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete