Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Goodreads Summary:

Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.

Publication Date: October 15, 2012

This was a fun and sexy read! I loved the plot and the characters were simply fantastic! I had expected the book to be purely about sex, but it turned out to be much more than that.

Bliss was a fabulous main character. She was neurotic and over analytical, but very relatable. She was also very funny and I thought her awkwardness made for a lot of cute moments between her and Garrick. I’m also a fan of college age characters and I liked that the book dealt with Bliss’s fears of the future after finishing her final year of schooling.

Garrick was pure hotness. He’s good-looking, a teacher and British—it’s like the tri-fecta of a swoon-worthy male lead. I wished for a little more character development surrounding him since besides being attractive, I didn’t feel like the readers got to know him well.

The secondary characters were interesting. I especially liked Cade and my heart hurt for me. The cat was also pretty awesome and a nice sub-plot.

Although sex is a major part of the plot, Losing It is far from an erotic novel. Many of the romantic scenes mostly involved a lot of kissing and longing touches. I think the main conflict isn’t about Bliss losing her virginity, but Bliss letting go of her neuroses and thinking with her heart instead of her head.

One thing I didn’t like was the cover. In my opinion, it just didn’t suit the story. Honestly, it kind of kept me from reading the book right away. Another thing I didn’t like was the progression of Bliss and Garrick’s relationship. SPOILER ALERT They were barely together and then all of a sudden they were exchanging I love yous. I understood the strong physical attraction, but saying I love you and then making plans to move in together seemed a little premature to me. END OF SPOILER

This book is perfect for anyone who is looking for some escapism for a few hours. I’m curious to read more from the author. Perhaps a follow-up book about Cade?

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this one too! :) I wish I could have learned more about Garrick too. I also definitely agree with the cover. I don't think it fit the story well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bliss and Garrick sound great. Glad you enjoyed.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to reading this book... great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my TBR and I will read it soon! Thank you for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the author was nervous about taking the plunge and writing that steamy sex scene :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete