Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: The Reluctant Amazon by Sandy James



Goodreads Summary:

The last thing Rebecca Massee expects on her wedding day is to go from jilted kindergarten teacher to Amazonian Earth warrior. But when she causes an earthquake after her groom says I don’t, she discovers that not only does she possess incredible powers, she is one of four lost chosen sisters who must fight to keep humanity safe from rogue gods and demons. Luckily she has help: ruggedly handsome Scottish warrior Artair MacKay, her protector and teacher.

An immortal, Artair has trained countless warriors for more than four hundred years. He understands Rebecca’s confusion at the new world she’s been thrust into and worries she is too emotionally vulnerable, but that doesn’t stop his growing feelings for the beautiful and fearless woman.

When an evil force threatens to destroy the Amazons, Rebecca must claim her full powers--but they come at a cost. Can she sacrifice the man she loves if it means saving the world?

Publication Date: September 3, 2012

This was a fun book with plenty of potential for future novels. I loved the kick-ass women who were destined to fight against evil. The mythology was interesting, without being too complex and the plot was fast paced with a few surprising twists.

The novel had a strong opening sequence. I liked the introduction of Rebecca along with her sentinel Artair and the fellow Amazons. Rebecca punching her groom in the face was a great first scene and really made me cheer for her from the beginning. Megan’s introduction was also fun and exciting and I loved the bond that formed between the two women.

Rebecca was a good character and I actually liked her reluctance to accept this destiny that was being forced upon her. I think her flaws made her very relatable and I didn’t have a hard time connecting with her. My one problem with Rebecca was that I think she needed more of a back-story. The reader is never given a clear reason why Rebecca ended up with her runaway groom and what her life was like before becoming an Amazon.

I liked how each Amazon was a fighter for the goddesses of Earth, Air, Water and Fire. Their affinities for the elements made for a lot of fun action scenes. The baddies were great and I was actually very surprised by one twist. There were a few gut-wrenching scenes where I was on the edge of my seat.

The aspect I liked the least was the romance in the book. It was sort of a shame because I loved Artair and Rebecca. He has a Scottish accent and wears a kilt! How awesome is that? However, the romance needed more of a natural development. It was too much like insta-love and it turned me off for the rest of the book. I liked the forbidden angle of it, but it was too mushy, too quickly.

Overall, a great read with memorable characters. The plot was solid and I think the series is definitely a keeper.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the author for a copy of this book for review!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting!! Thanx for the suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, very interesting. Not sure if I'll read it, but great review!

    ReplyDelete