Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review: Breathe by Sarah Crossan


Goodreads Summary:

Inhale. Exhale.
Breathe.
Breathe.
Breathe . . .
The world is dead.
The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.

Alina
has been stealing for a long time. She's a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she's never been caught before. If she's careful, it'll be easy. If she's careful.

Quinn
should be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it's also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn't every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.

Bea
wants to tell him that none of this is fair; they'd planned a trip together, the two of them, and she'd hoped he'd discover her out here, not another girl.

And as they walk into the Outlands with two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?

Publication Date: October 2, 2012

Breathe was literally like a breath of fresh air. I’ve felt like I’ve been in a bit of a reading rut lately and this novel inspired me again. I loved everything about it: the characters, suspense and the romance.

I was intrigued by the concept behind the book. People must now rely on a corporation for their supply of oxygen. The rest of the world is a wasteland and populations now exist inside domes. Although not a huge amount of background was given on what led to this occurrence, the ideas were compelling. I loved the conspiracy angle of the plot too and the book had a few twists I didn’t see coming.

Each chapter is told in alternating point of views—switching between Bea, Quinn and Alina. This can be off-putting in some novels, but it worked in Breathe. I fell in love with these characters. I admired Alina’s strength, Bea’s compassion and Quinn’s resilience. To say I loved the romance is an understatement. It was sweet and slow-building.

The pacing was well done and the book had plenty of gripping scenes. I loved that there was no clear heroes and villains either. Although the Resistance is trying to return the world to its former state, their methods aren’t always savory. The climax was gut-wrenching and a perfect setup for the next book.

I can’t wait for the sequel! The author is definitely one to watch.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!  

1 comment:

  1. I'm drawn to this one just by the cover alone - I'm glad to hear it's worth the read =D

    ReplyDelete