Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review: Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Goodreads Summary:

She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can’t do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side….


Publication Date: October 2, 2012

When I saw the description of this book, I was beyond excited. Give me Kresley Cole and a tarot themed apocalypse story any day of the week! Although I really loved this story, a few of the characters kept this from being a five star read for me.

The story gripped me from the get go. I dare anyone to read the first chapter and not want to read this novel. After the strong introduction, it dragged a little as the novel focused on Evie and her high school melodrama. However, after the first 100 pages, things picked up again as the Flash decimates most of the population (this isn't a spoiler since this is revealed in the first few pages).

The descriptions of Evie's visions were vivid and disturbing. It was chilling as she described the visions of the other Arcana. There was plenty of suspence too since there are several mysteries Evie must figure out as part of her destiny. Evie wasn't the most likable character. However, I think her weaknesses demonstated how much she grew throughout the book.

The main thing I hated about book was the love interest Jackson. I honestly had no idea what Evie saw in him. When he isn't insulting her, he's sipping from a flask and talking about himself as "ole Jack." In one scene, he actually yells at her for not putting out for him. Blech! Usually if I hate the love interest, it's a deal breaker and I end up disliking the book. However, the story was so strong, I still enjoyed it immensely.

The ending was so good! I can't wait to see what happens next. And who knows? Maybe Jackson will grow on me or a new love interest will pop up.

Rating: 4/5 Stars  

2 comments: