Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron


Goodreads Summary:

A spine-tingling tale of steampunk and spies, intrigue and heart-racing romance!

When Katharine Tulman's inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London.

Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she grows to care for deeply. And her choices are made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a secretive student, and fears for her own sanity.

As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle's world at stake, but also the state of England as Katharine knows it. With twists and turns at every corner, this heart-racing adventure will captivate readers with its intrigue, thrills, and romance.

Publication Date: September 1, 2012

The Dark Unwinding is one of my favorite character driven novels of the year. I loved the world that Katharine’s Uncle Tully created and enjoyed the growth we saw in Katharine during her time amongst the villagers. I loved the gothic feel blended with the steampunk elements.

Katharine is pretty unlikable at the book’s start. It may turn off a few readers. However, I enjoy books that feature protagonists that undergo a change for the better. I felt her flaws made her relatable and made her interactions with the wary villagers cringe-worthy to witness.

Uncle Tully is probably one of the most memorable characters I’ve come across in a long time. I loved the author’s depiction of an autistic man during that time period. It was heart-breaking to think of how he could be sent away for his differences. Each time he interacted with his niece, I felt a little choked up.

Lane is a good romantic lead. He’s protective of Uncle Tully and he had plenty of mystery surrounding him. The romance was secondary in the novel, but there were a couple of very sweet scenes.

One of my complaints was that the mystery element of the plot was fairly predictable. A twist I didn’t see coming would’ve been a pleasant surprise. The ending was open-ended which leads me to believe a sequel is in the works.

This was a quick and intriguing read that kept me up until the wee hours to finish. I’m excited to see what else will be released in the future by this amazing debut author.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book for review!

1 comment:

  1. A well written and concise review! Sounds like a good read. I need to pick up a steampunk novel. I haven't yet ventured into that genre :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete