Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review: More by T.M. Franklin

Goodreads Summary:

Ava Michaels used to think she was special.

As a child, she fantasized about having magical powers . . . making things happen. But Ava grew up and eventually accepted the fact that her childish dreams were just that, and maybe a normal life wasn't so bad after all.

Now a young college student, Ava meets Caleb Foster, a brilliant and mysterious man who’s supposed to help her pass Physics, but in reality has another mission in mind. What he shows Ava challenges her view of the world, shaking it to its very core.

Because Caleb isn't quite what he seems. In fact, he's not entirely human, and he's not the only one.

Together, the duo faces a threat from an ancient race bound to protect humans, but only after protecting their own secrets—secrets they fear Ava may expose. Fighting to survive, Ava soon learns she's not actually normal...she's not even just special.

She's a little bit more.


Publication Date: October 4, 2012

To start off, I have to say I REALLY loved this book! It had all of the qualities that I love in new adult novels. This debut author is certainly one to watch and I really hope More was only a series starter and the story continues in subsequent books.

The setting takes place in college which is my favorite time period in a character’s life to read about. The author was really able to capture the college experience and how our relationships change as we enter this phase of our life.

Ava was instantly likable. She’s a normal girl that doesn’t realize there’s something extraordinary about her. Even once she finds out about her ties to an ancient race, she still wishes to return to her normal life. I liked reading about her experiences coming to terms with her powers and how she turns into a tough girl by the novel’s end.

Caleb was great. I loved his protective instincts and how he was willing to defy everything he knew for her. Forbidden love is one of my favorite plot devices which made me cheer for Ava and Caleb as a couple. I liked how she started falling for him before his true nature was revealed.

The world-building was done exceptionally well. As the plot moves away from the college, it was easy to picture the paranormal elements described by the author. The writing and pace flowed well and I never felt too bored to continue reading.

The main conflict was resolved by the end of the book, but left enough unanswered questions where I believe a sequel could be written. I hope the author has one in the works because I’ll be first in line to buy it.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

1 comment:

  1. Great review. Sounds like a winning read! My poor Kindle has a million indies waiting for reviews but if I can find this one in print, I'm all over it :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete