Thursday, November 29, 2012

Review: Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Goodreads Summary:

Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.


Publication Date: October 16, 2012

Ever read a book and feel very confused afterwards? Like you read the whole thing, but weren't exactly sure if you loved the book? That's my feelings after reading Crewel. The story is staying with me days after finishing it, but I still can't decide how I feel about the characters, the romance and the ending.

The plot was an interesting concept. In this alternate universe, the world is controlled by spinsters who can weave time. Most girls are raised in the society to believe that being a spinster is a glamorous and wonderful thing. However, Adelice's parents have always tried to hide her abilities in order to keep her out of the Guild's control.

The beginning of the book was amazing. I was immediately drawn into Adelice's world and her family's struggles against a corrupt society. Once she arrives at the compound, the book was still interesting as readers are introduced to the spinsters and the hierarchy of the Guild.

Adelice was a good protagonist. She had some spunk, especially when dealing with the villains of the story. I wasn't a fan of the romance. Jost came off as bland and I didn't see much depth to his character. Eric was the preferred love interest in my opinion, but then he disappeared for the second half of the book.

The world-building was a struggle for me. I just could not visualize the idea of how things were controlled on the loom and through weaving. Several times, I had to stop reading because I couldn't quite wrap my head around it.

The ending felt a little rushed. There were so many plot points left open that I would've liked to see at least a few of the conflicts resolved before waiting for the next book.

Overall, a good book that has the potential to become a great series.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of Crewel for review!

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when endings are rushed -- especially if there are loose ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is deeee best from all da other boring ones thankS sooooooo muchh!! Gna. Get. My cpy!!! :D

    ReplyDelete