Monday, November 19, 2012

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Goodreads Summary:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Publication Date: November 15, 2011

I can’t believe I’ve missed out on this incredible book for so long! I LOVED IT!!! Everything about it was amazing and I am freaking out that I have to wait for the sequel until next year.

Shatter Me is one of those books that readers seemed to be split on: they either love it or hate it. I think what some people hate about it is what made me fall in love with it. I love the beautiful and flowery prose and I thought the strikethrough sentences were an interesting writing technique. I’ve never felt completely inside a character’s head, the way I did with Juliette.

The characters were incredible. Juliette was an amazing protagonist and I loved how she sounded half-crazy most of the time. Her descriptions transported me to this dark and disturbing dystopian world. Her terror jumped off of the pages and I sympathized with her horror over her abilities.
 
The love interest was handsome, mysterious and protective—the perfect YA male lead. The scenes between Adam and Juliette were smoldering and her need for him was desperate and beautiful. Most villains in books can come across as one dimensional. This is certainly not the case of Warner. He was so compelling that I loved every single scene he was in.

I can’t say enough amazing things about this book. I sometimes find hyped books fail to live up to their expectations, but Shatter Me certainly surpassed mine.
 
Rating: 5/5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. Putting this as one of my to be read books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this book not too long ago. Was thinking of picking it up. Guess I'll be doing that now LOL! Thanks for the suggestion. As always, it's well done. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored the writing style as well! Warner was an awesome character :D

    ReplyDelete