Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Dance of the Red Death (Masque #2) by Bethany Griffin


Goodreads Summary:

Bethany Griffin continues the journey of Araby Worth in Dance of the Red Death—the sequel to her teen novel Masque of the Red Death.

In Dance of the Red Death, Araby’s world is in shambles—betrayal, death, disease, and evil forces surround her. She has no one to trust. But she finds herself and discovers that she will fight for the people she loves, and for her city.

Her revenge will take place at the menacing masked ball, though it could destroy her and everyone she loves…or it could turn her into a hero.

With a nod to Edgar Allan Poe, Bethany Griffin concludes her tragic and mysterious Red Death series with a heroine that young adult readers will never forget.

Publication Date: June 11, 2013


Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an interesting sequel. Although it wasn’t a total letdown, I didn’t love it as much as the first book. I remember being hooked on Masque of the Red Death and staying up late to finish it. This took me a lot longer to read and I wasn’t totally crazy about how things turned out.

The beginning was a little rough for me. Araby has fled town with her friends and romantic interests as the Red Death has plagued the city. For a good twenty percent of the book, the group has taken refuge in the airship and landed in the swamps. Nothing much happens during this portion and to be honest I had a hard time catching up to who each person was and what had happened in the first book.

Once I settled into the plot, it got much better. The second half was much faster paced than the first. I liked the quicker pace, but it made the book feel uneven.

I really love the author’s writing style. The descriptions that she uses really bring this creepy world to life. I liked the steampunk aspects as well, although there were only a few. The setting is amazing, especially when the characters arrive at the demented prince’s palace.

Araby is a great character and I felt she came a long way since the first book. April was another favorite, but I wasn’t happy with how her story played out. Elliott and Will were the flawed love interests and I found myself preferring one much more so than the other.

Although I have mixed feeling over this one, I would recommend it to fans that wish to finish the series.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. I've yet to check out the other book in this series, I love these cover though :) Rocky beginnings can sometimes be downfall for me, but I'm glad you found some good in the story.

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry you didn't love as much as the first, but glad there was still aspects you enjoyed and wasn't a letdown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written review, Heather. Thanks for giving us the skinny. :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a book that I was super excited about coming out! And look at the cover! Isn't it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete